Monday, April 07, 2008

Not a Poem

This is not a poem about my alarm clock.
I will not personify its beady red eyes
or its malignant glare.
I will not employ onomatopoeia
to capture its vicious screech
that metaphorically shatters
my sleep, deep as a glassy lake.
I will not resort to such cheap parlor tricks.

No, I will not.

Instead, I offer you the
moment before
the alarm clock rings:
darkness thick as bear’s fur,
a gentle cave of silence,
an avalanche of blanket,
and the possibility
that this dream might last forever.

5 comments:

Ed said...

FYI: if it were not for the unrelenting demands of NaPoWriMo, this poem would never see the light of day. Enjoy my warts!

Alice Carrier said...

this one might be one of my favorites so far, actually!

Christie said...

dude, I like it too. i think you just wanted to add the "never see the light of day" and couldn't figure out how to add it to the poem.

Ed said...

if you guys like it, who am i to complain?

romaryka said...

off topic but …
i love that "onomatopoeia" (a) appears in your poem and (b) is probably the LEAST onomatopoetic word in the entire language. heh.

cheap parlor tricks aside, i think this poem has potential. that last stanza had me dreaming, eyes already closed until i realized i had to keep reading for at least a moment more.

:)