Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ed is always forgetting stuff

Ed forgot to tell you that Wrigley (and her teacher, yours truly) was also invited to an awards ceremony where she would have the opportunity to read her poem to the audience. Oh, and the awards ceremony would end with dessert. This detail amuses me because it is a detail that was mentioned only in Wrigley's letter and not in mine. We can't go to the ceremony, as it is scheduled the same weekend as our annual Mother's Day cabin camping trip, but if I were six and I had that to look forward to, the dessert part would stick in my head.

If we were able to go, we wouldn't have had to worry about the public poetry "reading" performance. Wrigley had her debut in that arena this past weekend. Her drama class had its semester performance on Sunday. Last Thursday, Wrigley was taken with Daffodowndilly, a spring celebration poem by AA Milne. She decided she would ask Samantha, her drama teacher, if she could perform it. She did just that, and Samantha agreed that Wrigley could open the performance by reciting the poem and making the announcement about turning off your cell phone.

Gack, just before time, I was all atwitter.
jitters

You see, the drama class performance is really all about cute small kids bounding about the stage with the drama teacher right there on stage as part of the play acting as narrator and line prompter to keep the storyline rolling along.
DSCF7694

There can be no mistakes because no matter how badly they forget, move to the wrong place, get silly, distracted, speak softly or even pee (poor girl) on stage, Samantha is right there keeping it going and in the audience are all parents who are all also parents of 5-10 year olds who are also doing the same things.

So here it is time for Wrig's big solo debut and I've got butterflies. If Wrigley did too, I couldn't tell. She spoke clearly and projected. She didn't forget a thing, though, afterward she mentioned that she got one of the words wrong. I also now know the poem by heart, and I didn't notice.
daffodowndilly

It was quite an event. Then the next day, she finds out about the Oregon State Poetry Society award. She's feeling pretty good about her talents right now.

No comments: