Sunday, February 24, 2008

Poem of the Week

Sick. Sick, sick, sick as a dog. All week. Yuck. Here's what I managed to cobble together before my head became a solid block of snot atop my shoulders.

That Week in February
February 18, 2008

It’s been that week,
when the mercury rises
and warms the soil,
wakens the bulbs and the buds,
the weeds and the wildflowers,
and quickens the earth towards Spring.

That week,
when the cloud cover rises
and reveals the mountain
in white winter attire,
reveals the sun in an unblinking sky,
and quickens the earth towards Spring.

That week,
when my cold spirit rises
and wipes away its winter slumber,
prunes away last fall’s disappointments,
basks in new hope like a lizard on a rock
and quickens my pulse towards Spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin' the poetry! Great stuff here. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment re: B&W. Glad I stopped by your's to discover the poetry.