Thursday, February 14, 2008

After the snow

About three weeks ago we had a mean cold snap, four or five days of begging for precipitation, because surely after enduring so many cold days we deserved a good hard snow. It was the kind of dry that turns poor Wrigley's mouth a sore, chapped red. In that cold snap I took this picture of a cool looking mushroom growing out of a stump in the back yard. This little guy was totally unprotected, and I was amazed to see him there. It was so cold, and my hands were freezing, and I didn't pull that blurry blade of grass in the foreground. I thought about it, but my hands and my child were begging me to put the stupid camera away and go inside. I kicked my self later.

Five days later it did snow, but it had already warmed some, and the very wet snow came down slushy. We got only about 1/2 and inch. They didn't even close school. It wasn't anything like the fabulous day of sledding we got last year, but I did remember to find out what the snow did to the mushroom. This time I did pluck that blade of grass, and I like the result.



I sometimes share my photos in a couple of bloggy circles, and it seems that others like this photo as well. It was the Daily Click over at Shutter Sisters on Wednesday, and it is in some amazing company. You should take a look of some of those photos.

I am just glad there isn't a blurry green streak cutting across the bottom right corner taunting me with chants of not being able to hack the cold.

edited to add: Hmmm.... it seems that the blog's width is too small to show the photos properly, and I have to go to bed and then go camping tomorrow, so I can't fix it now. You can't even see my nemesis. Well if you click on the pictures you can see them in their unbutchered glory at Flickr.

No comments: