Monday, November 01, 2004

Toasty and Salty

Last week I was sick on the designated pumpkin carving night, so we had plain pumpkins on our porch for Halloween. It was okay, though, because we also had our porch light off. We headed over to friends for Halloween dinner and trick or treating. I was missing toasted pumpkins seeds, though, so today Wrigley and I sliced open the tops of two pumpkins and cleaned them of seeds. After the first one went well and Wrigley still wanted to dig up more seeds, we went ahead and started on the second. A three-year old's attention can turn at a moments notice, however, so twelve seeds into the second pumpkin Wrigley decides she is all done. To keep her attention, we started talking about how some people sell toasted pumpkin seeds and how do we suppose they get them out. Eventually we were talking about a great pumpkin seed separating machine. Wrigley elaborated on how people feed whole pumpkins into the machine and the seeds are yanked out and waaaashed and put in the oven all by a machine called a Spitredator (spit-red-ator).

The seeds came out great. It seems that the manual Spitredator works just fine.

Wrigley adds, "I liked taking out the seeds. Taking out the seeds. We're going to carve pumpkins next year. I like carving pumpkins. I got my little white one. I love pumpkins, and I brought my white one inside. Some people have their pumpkins on their stairs. Now can you read a book?"

No comments: