Saturday, November 06, 2004

Procrastinosaurus

In case you didn't know, Wrigley had a birthday last month. I am finally getting a couple pictures up from the grand celebration. Thank-you cards will make it out before the year in review letters!After saying - since July - that she wanted a firefighter birthday party, Wrigley mentioned a month before the big event that she didn't want a firefighter party after all. She just wanted her "friends to come over and hang out." I kid you not. I have no idea where she learned the phrase "hang out." So I scrapped all the research I did on firefighter parties (planning parties is not something that comes naturally to me, so I had to do a lot of work on it), and thought up just good generic party ideas. I had it all planned out, when I thought I should confirm with the birthday girl that her plans had in fact changed. She now wanted a dinosaur party. With gritted teeth and studied lack of profanity I asked, "Are you sure? You cannot change your mind after this." Wrigley was sure and she didn't change her mind again.We invited 4 friends, which seemed to be a perfectly manageable number. We had a dino cave, dino feet, dino egg hunting (the eggs hatched glow in the dark dinosaurs!), and dino painting. When the dino pretending lost steam we brought out balloons which were, as always, popular. If I recall correctly, the birthday girl didn't cry (which always seemed to be a requirement when I was a kid!), though as a good Mom I may have already blocked that part out. Wrigley is very pleased with having reached three. She tells us matter-a-factly sometimes things like, "three years olds don't mind loud noises" or "three years olds eat asparagus," or "three year olds can open tall cabinets."





No comments: