Sunday, July 20, 2008

Poem of the Week

I Take My Father Camping
July 16, 2008

I take my father camping with me
in small ways:
eyes open wide, set on the horizon,
an eager lean into a long curve of road,
easy delight at another click of the odometer.

I take my father camping with me
in small ways:
a prominent chin in need of a shave,
a knee that complains about a steep downhill,
a back that slopes like a gentle hillside.

I take my father camping with me
in small ways:
bitter complaints about weak coffee,
an easy grin and a sweet tooth,
a sense of humor, drier than tinder.

I take my father with me always,
in small ways.

3 comments:

Alice Carrier said...

dear ed: can you please pretend that you are me? and you can pretend that it's 1:30 a.m. and that you've been watching a pot of chicken stock simmer for 4 hours, and that you have been steadily downing red wine by yourself, and then you come and visit your friend's blog that is full of sweet poetry and heady descriptions of forces of nature? and then like, write a poem about THAT? because i suck at that. HEY GUYS, WANT TO HANG OUT? we can make food with my homemade chicken stock.

Christie said...

Alice - 2 words: pressure cooker

Elliott - Happy Birthday

Ed- well, you know.

Alice Carrier said...

christie, where am i supposed to stash a pressure cooker in my already packed kitchen? besides, waiting for it is so much fun.