Sunday, January 27, 2008

Poem of the Week

It feels like it's been a reeeeeeally long week. Not sure why. I've been kicking around a non-poem post, but I never got around to it. Who knows? Maybe this week.

It was a pretty good week on the poem front - three possible candidates for the Poem of the Week. One is an early possibility for Christie's birthday poem, so it will have to stay underground until April.

That leaves me with ...

Same Old Moon
January 23, 2008

At precisely 5:32 am,
Pacific Standard Time,
the ripening moon ripened,
bloomed in full.

Precisely one hour later,
as I drive to work amidst
the shooting stars of taillights
and turn signals,

she has already begun her wane,
her uppermost rim
softly flattened
like a bruised fruit
or yesterday’s dream.

But even as she withers,
even as the spin of sun and earth
chip away at her perfection,
we both rest easy, fully aware she has
just begun to ripen.

No comments: