1. While standing in line to get my boarding pass, the woman in front of me turns to me and says, “I know this is really dumb, but …” I hear this all the time because, apparently, I have a very common face. This conversation usually ends with me telling the (true) story of a girl I knew in college who had a picture of me at her family reunion in Tennessee; of course, it really isn’t a picture of me, just one of my many doppelgangers. However, the woman at the train station followed “I know this is really dumb …” with “…but do you teach high school in Oregon City?” It turns out that her daughter was one of my students in my first year at OC. Her family was headed to Chicago to see her (my former student, mind you) perform at scene from a play she wrote at the Steppenwolf Theatre, which is a damn fine theatre company.
2. After I settled into my seat on the train, the people across the aisle from me look at me and say, “I know this sounds really dumb, but …” It turns out that they are the parents of a student I’ve had for the last four years at OC. He just graduated a couple of weeks ago. It’s a funny little world, isn’t it?
3. Mt. Ranier is nice, but Mt. Hood could totally kick its ass in a fight.
4. I am staying in a hotel with no free breakfast and no free wifi.
5. I am staying in a hotel where I can’t find the Cubs or the Mariners on TV.
6. I am staying in a hotel that doesn’t have Comedy Central.
7. I am staying in a hotel where I can plug my iPod into the clock radio (very cool!) but I cannot get the M’s on the local radio station (very uncool!)
8. Recap: I am staying in a hotel with fewer amenities than my house. Does anybody know the score of the M’s game?
9. Free wifi at Tully’s costs $4 (I gotta get the coffee of the day tomorrow; a week of iced mochas is going to bankrupt me).
10. A double decker taco costs $1.29 PLUS (brace yourselves, fragile Oregon readers …) $.12 in tax. I spent $2.82 on a couple of $.99 tacos. I’m totally homesick.
11. I just noticed that the keyboard of my laptop does not have a key for the cent sign. Check yours. Do you have one? What happened to the cent sign? Are you suggested that modern computer keyboards have no cents?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That's is too funny. I tried to use the cent symbol yesterday and discovered that our keyboard doesn't have one either. Perhaps you crummy hotel is hoarding them all.
i don't see a cent symbol but i can make one i think, åœ∑ßΩ≈ß∑´∂çç√ƒ®†©∫˙¥˜µ∆¨ˆ˚≤¬˚ˆøπ¬≥…πøºª•¶§∞¢£¢¢¢¢¢¢¢ yep i found it. i can make one by pressing "option + 4" ¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢¢ SUCK ON THAT! i don't know how to do it on a computer that isn't a mac, though. if you have a mac, that's how you do it.
Post a Comment