Monday, December 19, 2005

Christie’s 2005 Booklist

Here is the whole list with most recently read on top. The bold are actually recommended, the rest are just okay. I deleted the ones I read but didn’t like, but for the most part, I’ve finally learned to put down books that aren’t worth reading. I took out the parenting books because I don't suspect anyone is really interested in those anyway.

Jane Eyre and Life at These Speeds (thank-you, Alice) are the big recommendations from this year.

Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, Amy Krouse Rosenthalgood for short chunks of reading, but a little tedious by the end

Reading Lolita in Tehran, Azar Nafisi

Falling Angels, Tracy Chevalier

Devil in the White City, Erik Larson - Long and gruesome, but fascinating

The Bonesetter's Daughter, Amy Tan

Doing School, Denise Clark Pope Interesting look at what motivates a small sample of successful high school students. Unfortunately should have been article length, not book length.

HP and the Half Blood Prince, J.K. Rowling

O Pioneers, Willa Cather

A Changed Man, Francine Prosewish the rest of the book was a good as the first chapter, but worth reading anyway.

HP and The Order of the Phoenix, J.K. Rowling

The Full Cupboard of Life, Alexander Mccall Smith

A Painted House , John Grisham - John Grisham without lawyers or conspiracies! Excellent for a quick vacation read.

Breakup, Catherine Texiernot recommended for my Mom or Grandmother, but for the rest of you, this was a brutal memoir of a relationship ending.

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronteokay, I couldn’t put this down for 200 pages.

Victorine, Catherine Texier

The Dark is Rising, Susan Cooper

The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck

In Summer, Jeremy Jackson

The Selected Stories of Patricia Highsmith

River King, Alice Hoffman

Maybe Baby, Tenaya Darlington

Life at These Speeds, Jeremy Jackson

The Nature of Water and Air, Regina McBride

Before You Know Kindness, Chris Bohjalian

The Land of Women, Regina McBride

The Rule of Four, Ian Caldwell

No comments: