10 years ago: I was preparing for my first full year as a teacher, at Clackamas High. We had just bought our first house. I don't think, in late July, we had even moved in yet. What a terrifying experience. Talk about committment! We had been married for less than a year, and the committment required to say, "I will spend the rest of my life with you" was nothing compared to the obligation of a 30 year loan!
5 years ago: I was telling people that there really wasn't much difference between Bush and Gore, so I was voting for Nader. Um, oops? I was spending carefree, lazy summers while my hardworking wife bustled off to work every day. Man, I miss those easy summers.
1 year ago: We had just returned from three weeks in Breckenridge. While we were gone, our cat moved in with the neighbors across the street. Though she grudgingly accepted our food, she didn't truly forgive us until the weather turned cold. The neighbors behind us planted sunflowers that stood taller than the fence. We would eat dinner on the back deck, watching the robins dine on the huge sunflower heads. I planted half a dozen cosmos before we left, and spent a good deal of time in July and August deadheading them. Found a nice poem in there. I'm sorry that neither I nor the neighbors replanted.
Yesterday: Spent a good deal of time procrastinating about this post. In the morning, we went berry picking on Sauvie Island. I thought I found a poem there, but it didn't want to come home with me. Too bad. In the afternoon, while Christie chatted with some friends about O! Pioneers, I painted a bird feeder with Wrig. Then I slapped a little paint on our house - we'll be painting this August and we thought we'd found a winner. Wrong-o!
Today: We were awoken by a cinnamon roll-french-toast-breakfast-delivery from Jeff and Cindi. Oh my! Nothing like a little sugar rush to start the day. Ambled to the park with Wrig. Bought more paint samples. Hit the grocery store and the library. Nibbled on berries all day today.
Tomorrow: Muffin making in the morning, testing paint in the afternoon. Christie and Wrig are headed off to swim lessons (I'm really hoping Christie finally works up the courage to put her face in the water!). In the evening, we'll be headed to Sellwood Riverfront Park for a little zydeco!
5 snacks I enjoy: apples with peanut butter, banana smoothies, snap pea crisps (we call them green cheetos), havarti and crackers, anything sweet
5 bands/singers I know the lyrics of most of their songs: Dire Straits, TMBG, Violent Femmes, Boomtown Rats, Lyle Lovett
5 things I would do with a $100,000,000: Find a way to teach high schoolers without having to wake up at 5:30 am, knock down my house and build a new one in the same location, pay someone a considerable amount of money to keep my life weed free, travel compulsively, buy a baseball team (or at least season tickets)
5 locations I’d like to run away to: Honestly, I don't want to run away anywhere (though, for some reason, the thought "I'm going to move to Canada" keeps popping into my head).
5 bad habits I have: laziness, sweet toothiness, sarcasm, not paying attention while driving, mindlessly surfing the 'net.
5 things I like doing: playing guitar, listening to baseball on the radio, playing games, napping, eating dessert
5 things I would never wear: I'm not likely to be seen in a tux again any time soon.
5 TV shows I like: The only thing I watch on tv is baseball, basketball, and football. I miss Homicide: Life on the Streets and The Simpsons.
5 movies I like: The Fisher King, Casablanca, The Princess Bride, Pulp Fiction, Young Frankenstein
5 famous people I’d like to meet: Shakespeare, Kurt Vonnegut, Laurie Anderson, um ... I secretly suspect that most famous people are A-holes and - even though I like their work - I wouldn't really like to know them.
5 biggest joys at the moment: sleep, Harry Potter #6 (only a dozen chapters to go), cuddling in a wide variety of forms, free live outdoor music, chipotle chile powder
5 favorite toys: the Squish (it's my all time favorite kid's toy), my guitar, any power tool, iTunes, glow in the dark juggling balls. Bonus favorite toy: whatever Christie is currently fidgeting with.
No comments:
Post a Comment