Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Go Buy Train (tickets)

When you travel with the airlines, your flight can arrive exactly on time yet you arrive so stressed that the first two days of your vacation are ruined. When you travel by train, you can arrive four hours late (in the middle of the night, no less, and after 36 hours of travel) and feel refreshed and ready to take on the day. Go figure.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Picture this: it’s about 4:30 am. You’ve had about three and a half hours of sleep. The gray light of dawn creeps through the half open curtains of your cabin. Your daughter sits at the foot of your bed, wrapped in a blue fleece like a babushka (it’s her turtle shell, naturally), reporting with wide eyed wonder everything that slides by your train. I don’t think I’ve been more relaxed in my three year career as an amateur Dad.

Heaven, Thy Name is Chocolate Pyramid: A chocolate pyramid is a chocolate mousse desssert (desssert is spelled with three s’s because you can’t help but want more than two!) in the form of a … pyramid (well, duh). Surrounding the pyramid’s base are delicate clouds of whipped cream. Inside the pyramid is a puddle of molten vanilla crème. It tastes even better than it sounds; I’m literally salivating as I type this.

Our train stopped in both Sacramento (where we saw somebody get arrested from our window) and Davis (where we saw probably 50 bikes locked up at the train station bike racks). As we rolled through the Central Valley – sad brown hills dotted with scrubby trees, I said to Christie, “Oh. So this is why I never went hiking or camping when I was a kid.”
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

No comments: