Monday, December 20, 2004

Advent-ageous

I always knew that such a thing as an "Advent Calendar" existed, but I never quite knew what one was. From snippets of conversation and observation, I knew they usually involve candy (not a bad start) and many of them involved felt and velcro. I didn't understand the purpose of an advent calendar until this year.

Apparently, if you're a young child and you're not Jewish, December can be a verrrrrrry long month. So, to let off a little steam before your pint-sized pressure valves erupt, some folks keep advent calendars to help count down the days until Christmas. Christie explained this to me as she was hanging 24 small envelopes (hand decorated by the girls) onto our tree. Did I mention these were 24 empty envelopes?

At about 5:30 on December 1st, right in the middle of throwing dinner together, an hour or so before we were supposed to open our first envelope, Christie says, "Write something on a card and stick it in the first envelope." Say what? Write what? What are you talking about and when am I going to get my candy?

So, with very little guidance and a great deal of pressure, I wrote "Cuddle with Mommy and Daddy by the tree and talk about your favorite ornament." And thus was a tradition born.

All month long we've been using advent cards to do things as a family. We've read stories and told stories and jumped on bubble wrap and painted toenails. We've shared treats and sung songs (in three keys, no less, and sometimes more!). Basically, we've been using the cards to spend a little time each evening doing family stuff. It's been a nice way to take the focus off of things for the holiday and put it back on the people.

No comments: