Friday, January 19, 2007

All Play and No Work



Ed had a whopping one day work week this week. It started with the Martin Luther King Jr Holiday followed by three snow days. It was only a few inches but Portland doesn't really have much in the way of snow removal equipment, so it takes a while to get things moving again. It was a fabulous snow for sledding and we did plenty of it. I didn't get many pictures of it, though, because it wasn't until the last snow day that I figured out that keeping the camera batteries in my armpit would do wonders for keeping the camera working in cold weather. Next time.

On the third snow day we headed out hiking in the Columbia River Gorge. The highways were clear and Wahclella Falls is right off the highway. I do not know why I have never heard of this hike before last fall when Cindi and I were looking for a hike close to the Bonneville Dam. We didn't make it all the way to the waterfall that hike. When you hike with kids and stop to examine every rock in the creek, sometimes a mile hike is too long! This time we made it to the waterfall. This one rates up there with the ohmygod hikes. The ice lended a lot of beauty, but even in the heat of summer, I am certain this one is still amazing.




When you come visit, we'll have to take you there.

The pit stop at Multnomah Falls wasn't bad either.


In other news, Wrigley has finally decided that the tire swing is fun after all and we've been heading off to the playground for her daily dose of dizzying spinning.


And in still other developments, I've started a project I am calling Project 364. Most folks are doing Project 365, but I missed the first day, so it is 364 'round here. I find it challenging if only because I do just about the exact same things day in and day out and there isn't enough light to shoot indoors. You may enjoy my slide show here.

2 comments:

Ed said...

if you want real snow, you should try texas, say, or new mexico

Alice Carrier said...

so... how long did it take for baby vesuvius to stop barfing all over you guys? this is starting to drive me crazy.

also: snow days are rad. unfortunately, eli wasn't very enthusiastic about the snow. maybe in a few years!