Poem Behind Ponytail Falls
I wonder how fast the water
must flow to make it thunder so.
Perhaps I will bring a high school
science class here to conduct experiments,
clanking their way to the top, laden
with beakers and balances. I wonder if they will care,
or if they will notice the way the leaves
change color as they flicker in the breeze.
I wonder how deep the pool is.
Or rather, was, before the eager
water pounded away at the stone.
If I donned scuba gear and flippers,
I could measure the generations:
here is the time before cell phones,
the time before television, and even
deeper, the time before poems.
I wonder if we will swim here, you and I,
naked in the nighttime, our legs twined together
against the icy water. We will spin in lazy circles
beneath the stars, kissing once for each star
and once again for each drop of water.
And I will wonder which tastes sweeter:
snow fresh from the waterfall
or the honeyed milk of your kisses.
Thursday, July 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment