Christie and I love love love thunderstorms. When we lived in Denver, we eagerly awaited the daily four o'clock gully washer. We courted each other counting lightning strikes out the big windows in her dorm room. When we said we "wanted to live somewhere where it rains all the time" we weren't thinking of Portland's daily drizzle, we were thinking of boom and blast and flash of light.
But this isn't about my beautiful Christie and how much I love her and what a wonderful Mom she is. This is about my mom and what a wonderful Mom she is.
You see, I didn't always love thunderstorms. When I was a little boy, we lived in Iowa. Thunderstorms made my knees knock and my teeth chatter. Worse, they kept me awake at night. The first big boom sent me scurrying to my parents' bed, where Mom would soothe me and comfort me and tell me that I didn't need to afraid of thunder and lightning. I would curl up next to her and sleep like a baby.
A little over 10 years ago, when my folks were living in Florida, I made a stunning discovery: Mom is terrified of thunder and lightning. They make her whole body shake and shiver, not just her knees. She's always been afraid of thunder, even when she was cooing and comforting me.
When I first learned that Mom was afraid of thunder, I thought it was merely ironic. Now that I'm a parent myself, and now that I understand how easy it is to be selfish as a parent, I am amazed at Mom's bravery. I wonder what challenges Wrig will throw my way that I won't be able to met with the grace and courage that Mom has.
I like to think I'm a good parent. I know that Mom has set a very high standard.
I love you, Mom. Happy Mother's Day.
Sunday, May 09, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment